Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Christie Morehouse
    Participant
    • Contribution Score 140

Anybody play a 5-string violin? How do you like it?

Dianne Adkins
    • Contribution Score 325

I would love a 5 string electric. It would take some getting used to having that extra string but once I did, it would be hard going back to acoustic! Having a 5 string would be like having a violin and viola all at once!

Gayle Thompson
    Participant
    • Contribution Score 9

I have a 5 string – and I totally loved it after I got used to the 5th string! The learning curve is way more difficult than you’d expect. I gave it up because I found a Zeta that suits me better – but I wish it was a 5 string!

That being said. I did have difficulty with the 5 string as the string placement is closer together and when playing in any position except 1st bowing became difficult (almost impossible not to hit adjacent strings). I never knew if it was the particular violin I had or just an inherent problem with 5 strings – any one have this problem?

Scott Adams
    Keymaster
    • Contribution Score 90

I have been toying with the idea of moving to a 5-string instrument, myself, for a while now. I teach both violin and viola (originally a violist), and I find it a bit annoying when I can’t always jump to whatever high or low string is needed at that time without having a different instrument handy. In response to Gayle’s contribution, I’ve heard that there’s an adjustment period, but I haven’t really heard that it’s as difficult as you’re describing. It really seems that these kind of instruments aren’t nearly as standardized, so perhaps it really was something with that particular violin you have.

Either way, Christie, it is a consideration – and definitely something to test out on an instrument before you buy! One day soon I’ll be testing out Michael’s 5-string Damiano from Superior Violins. Perhaps you could as well. Maybe whoever gets a chance first can report back on what it’s like? Best of luck!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.